Yalumba Distillery (winery)
Yalumba was founded in 1849 by Samuel Smith, British migrant and English brewer, who had brought his family to Angaston seeking a new life. After purchasing a 30-acre parcel of land just beyond the southern-eastern boundary of Angaston, Smith and his son began planting the first vines by moonlight. Samuel named his patch “Yalumba” – aboriginal for “all the land around”.
Smith’s Angaston Whisky resulted from an inspired leap into uncharted territory by Yalumba in the late ‘90s and was made in their pot-still, which was last used for brandy production in 1983. Four batches of whisky were produced between 1997-2000, made from “wash” (unhopped beer) provided by Coopers Brewery, before the pot-still was finally decommissioned.