Knockando is located at Moray, in the Strathspey whisky producing area of Scotland.
Knockando Distillery was built by John Thompson in 1898, and is named after the village in which it stands. The name derives from Scottish Gaelic Cnoc-an-dhu, meaning “little black hill”. In 1904 the distillery was purchased by W & A Gilbey, a gin producer from London, and is now owned by multinational firm Diageo.
Knockando was the first distillery in Scotland to be built with electric lighting. In 1905 it was linked directly to the Great North of Scotland Railway, which connected Grantown-on-Spey with the main towns of north-east Scotland. Cottages for distillery workers were built nearby, as well as a house for the Customs and Excise Officer.