The Glencadam Distillery is a distillery in Brechin, Angus that produces single malt Scotch whisky. The distillery is presently owned by Angus Dundee plc and produces one malt whisky, with the remainder of production sold to blenders or used within Angus Dundee plc for use in blended whisky brands.
The Glencadam Distillery was founded in 1825, about 200 yards from Brechin Distillery. The first recorded owner is David Scott, who was proprietor from 1827 to 1837. The distillery changed hands a number of times between 1837 and 1891. Gilmour, Thompson & Company Limited purchased the distillery in 1891 and used some of the Glencadam product in their Royal Blend brand of blended whisky. The distillery, as with most others, reduced production during World War II owing to fuel and grain rationing.
Hiram Walker bought the distillery in 1954, they were bought by George Ballantine & Son Ltd two years later, and ownership of the distillery eventually passed to Allied Domecq through further consolidation in the industry. Allied Domecq mothballed the distillery in 2000 before selling the distillery to the present owners, Angus Dundee plc in 2003. Angus Dundee also own the Tomintoul Distillery.
The present owners quickly resumed production and the product from the distillery is used in their own blended and vatted malt whisky products, as well as being sold to other blenders. Glencadam Malt Whisky is available in an official bottling aged 15 years, as a component of Ballantine’s and Stewart’s Cream of the Barley blended whiskies, Angus Dundee’s own blended and vatted whiskies, and in a number of other blended brands. Independent bottlings are also readily available, both as single malt and as vatted malts.