Photograph: Victoria Bensley

Dallas Dhu Distillery

Preserved for posterity as a traditional and historic distillery, but no longer in production Dallas Dhu, founded in 1899, and little changed, closed in the early 1980s and reopened its doors to the public in 1988 under the aegis of the Scotland’s Historic Buildings and Monument Directorate. There are no plans to restart production. The distillery is between the rivers Findhorn and Lossie and five or six miles west of the village of Dallas. The name Dallas derives from the Gaelic words for valley and water. Dhu means black, or perhaps in this instance, “dark”. It is not certain whether this refers to the colour of the water or the valley, or derives from an earlier brand name for a blended whisky made with the Dallas malt.