Ardmore distillery was founded in 1898, on the Eastern edge of Speyside at Kennethmont. Just one year after it was built, the whisky market collapsed due to over supply but Ardmore survived. This was mainly due to the fact that it was built as part of a major expansion programme for the company’s blended whiskies, in order to maintain malt supplies for products like the Teachers’ Highland Cream.
The original distillery was built with two stills and two more were built in 1955. By 1974 it had eight stills. The stills are still coal-fired. The steam engine, boiler-front and other relics of the original distillery have been preserved. Ardmore is one of the largest malt whisky distillers in Scotland, and it also houses extensive research laboratories.
Ardmore is from the Gaelic word, Ard-moi, which means `big-slope’. Now it is operated by Allied Distillers Ltd, a part of Allied Domecq. The water is taken from a spring on Knockandy Hill.
In 2002 Ardmore was one of the last distilleries in Scotland to switch from coal firing (direct heating) to steam heating (indirect).